Thursday, February 26, 2015

Creative Eye Thursday-You Can Quilt IT!

Creative Eye 
You Can Quilt It!
by Deborah M. Poole

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

After reading this book, the best description of how I feel is inspired and humbled.  Deborah has been long arm quilting for only 6 years...probably since this book was published, 7.  But even though that seems long to some, to be this accomplished after such a short time is wonderful.

I love that her message to all of us quilters, is perfect practice makes perfect.  This is definitely a physical task, its an art, and we need to train our muscles.  If we train them by doing something incorrectly, we won't be able to make the progress we desire.  (I feel like I try to teach this to our children all the time).

Just FYI...this is definitely from a long arm quilters perspective.  I wish with all my heart, I had a long arm quilting machine.  But I don't.  So some of these things are a little hard for me practice.  {But Luckily....sometimes I get to work on a long arm quilting machine}

Some of the gems I learned from this book are:
  • use templates
  • mark less, but use registration lines
  • imperfection is to be expected, give the illusion of perfection
  • use different feathers for different kinds of quilts
  • tips for using less thread
Deborah gives instruction for common mistakes, and their solutions.  She also gives solutions for tricky corners, she has all sorts of math tricks to make things work out perfect.  She even gives her favorite thread choices for blending.

If you have ever wanted to really tackle quilting, and challenge yourself to become amazing, you should definitely check this book out.


Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment