Thursday, February 19, 2015

Creative Eye Thursday - Stack, Shuffle, and Slide by Karla Alexander

Creative Eye Thursday

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

When I started scanning through this book, I found a number of fun quilts. I also noticed, that I was looking at an author who loves individuality.  I love how Karla has her own take on quilting, she doesn't take herself too seriously, and her love of quilting shows.



Deciding which quilt to make wasn't hard.  I thought I was just going  to make one block, like every other time.  But, as I got into it, I realized that this is a method/technique book, and the stack and whack method definitely requires a little more fabric....stacks of it actually (ha ha ha).

At this moment I wished I had more solids.  I have tons of fabric, so I made due.  I mixed patterns, with solids, and I think it turned out well.  I really had a blast making this.  I spent every free second I had yesterday putting this together.  I definitely enjoy freestyle quilting, but it does take letting go of the "rules" a little bit.

These are the blocks I put together.  Because I was just trying this out, and not fully committing to a whole quilt, I ended up with 8 blocks.  Hmmm.  So I quick pieced together the top left block, and pretended it was a block that could fit.  It's freestyle, things work out.






Here it is.  My quilt top, the Sarah version.    There are a couple things I wish I had done differently, but putting this together was really fun.  This could be a really fun quilt idea to play with in the future.  

If you are the type of quilter that doesn't like strict rules, and that likes to be a little free, you should totally check out this book you will love it.  I loved everything about this.  Hopefully you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment