Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Artisan Bread, wheat style

Today I made creamy chicken noodle soup for the teachers at my kids elementary school.  I made enough for our family tonight, but we definitely needed a starch to accompany it.  We are trying to be healthy, so I thought maybe grinding wheat and making 100% wheat artisan bread.

Grinding the wheat was fun, Noah hasn't seen me do that since he has been old enough to get excited about it.  He loved it, he kept wanting to watch those little wheat berries get ground to bits.  Then came the mixing of ingredients.....let's just say, this was a much less wet mixture than with white flour.


As you can see, Noah liked the mixing the ingredients too.   He really wanted to get as dirty as possible.  I tried to keep him out of the dough, but finally gave up, and just gave him a small portion of the dough to call his own.




And this is how they turned out.  The master recipe can be found here.  I used 12 cups wheat flour, and 1 cup regular white flour.  These loaves were a little more dense than usual, but they were still yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I'd be right there beside him enjoying every second. He's adorable, the bread looks scrumptious.

    Merry Christmas
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete