Thursday, March 19, 2015

Creative Eye Thursday- Free Motion Quilting For Beginners



Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

I absolutely love books like this one.  Technique books, that help us all improve our skills, and not just make a project warm my heart.  This is actually how I learned how to quilt.  Each week I would go to our local library and check out at least 4 different quilting books.  And that week, I would read them from cover to cover.  Some were great, some were average, but I found the ones I learned most from, were books like this.  Books that I could take the principles, and apply them to my quilts.

This book covers all the things you will need to know, to make yourself successful in learning to quilt.  She covers these points:
  • Necessary Tools:  Molly is a little like myself, a minimalist.  She shares what can make the biggest impact in being successful.  And, somethings she appreciates, but aren't needful.  One thing she doesn't love, but I DO, are quilting gloves.  She doesn't like feeling restricted, and I love the feeling of being able to grab the quilt.
  • Setting Up Your Space:  This is an important aspect of quilting, nothing is left to chance here.  And she even shares a tutorial link of how to build your own custom sewing table.
  • Prepping Your Project:  She shares three different basting methods..{even though I am converted to only one}.
  • Thread and Tension:  This is such an important discussion, and one that beginning quilters sometimes think is less important than it is.
  • Sketching:  Seriously, this is the only way I learned how to quilt.  Sketch, sketch, sketch, over and over again, until that muscle memory kicks in
  • Five Prep Steps for Free-Motion quilting:  Wish I had had this list when I started quilting, I might have saved myself some headaches.
I love that in addition to teaching the methods of quilting, she also gives a BUNCH of projects to practice these techniques.  These projects aren't big or overwhelming.  You don't have to wait until your quilt top is pieced to try it out.  Nope, here's a little project for you to practice on, and master a new skill.  She doesn't take quilting to seriously either...YES!  This is about learning.  About improving.  

My favorite quote from her book...{and yes, I rarely quote quilt books} is..
"under absolutely no circumstances has freaking out ever helped me."

That has always been my biggest belief about quilting. Relax, don't freak out, and just enjoy it.  


I loved her pebbles.   I even tried them out.  I agree with her, this is time consuming.  And uses tons of thread.
Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

What do you think of my pebble quilting?  It took a long time, but it was also pretty fun.


One of my favorite quilting looks is this wood grain.  So easy to accomplish, but it transforms this bag, from a neutral colored bag, to looking like modern art.  Just love it.  I have used it on a couple wall hangings, and it always makes me smile.  Maybe I just love trees.

If you are looking to learn more about quilting, definitely check out this book.

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment