Friday, July 2, 2010

Are you?

Are you dying for a little push?  Some inspiration? Something fun and easy to accomplish?

This summer has been crazy, pushing me out of the sewing room, and into every other room of the house.  I spend an inordinate amount of time with my washing machine.  

Anyhow....I want to give you guys something fun.  Something easy to work on.  So here's a twist on the windmill block.  All straight edges, strip piecing, and quick.  You are going to love it.


These are the instructions for just one block.  Make the quilt as large or small as you desire.


What do you need?

Solid fabric (white?), cut into 2 1/2 strips
2 1/2 strips of "fun" fabric


1.  Sew the strips together, and press to the darker fabric.


2.  Cut the strips into blocks.  Cut into 4 1/2" blocks.
***What if you want to make your strips different sizes?  No problem.  Cut your strips into squares by adding the width of the two strips, then subtracting 1/2", that will be the size of block you need to cut.
 Super Easy.






3.  Arrange the blocks so they look like this.  Then sew together, and press!




4.  Sew the two halves of the square together, and press.





Happy day, the block is done, and it was easy.  You feel happy because it is so cute, you can hardly handle it.  




So, what's so great about this block?  I love it because it allows you to use a million different kinds of fabrics, and still ties them together.  Notice in this quilt (look at the one at the top of the page, or this one...whatever), how I have super modern fabrics, mixed together with very traditional fabric.  I simply picked 2 colors as my guide, and let the rest follow.  Of course, there are more than 2 colors, but there are 2 "main" colors.  


Do you want to try it out?  Make a small quilt like this, and email them to me, I'd love to show the world your creations!  Do you just want to sew the blocks?  Email me the pics of those too!!!







1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I am going to try this with my daughter. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete